Sunday, April 10, 2005

A Snapshot of my Bulk Mail folder

Getting a score of bulk mail everyday has become more of a regular phenomena for years now and I really don't bother looking at them. Click on the "Empty" link and they are all thrashed. If an important mail gets there and I delete it, I will surely get another one. People who are important to me, will surely write again.

But in the past two weeks, I've noticed my mails in the bulk folder running into hundreds of mails. In fact on Friday evening, I saw around 200 mails, when I had actually cleaned up my Bulk mail on Thursday evening. A little annoyed, I just checked my spam filters and then checked my folder to see if mail box was under attack.

I couldn't figure out if it was under attack, but made some interesting and funny observations. I realized that my spammers apparently are good Samaritan in this world always trying to help me out in many ways, be it giving me free credit cards, high interests on mortgages, loans, help me find singles in MY area and best of all, they are the doctors who know my libido inside out.

I took a snapshot of my spam mails and did a small analysis on how well my spammers know me. And this is what I found...

I am living in abject poverty and therefore "eDealsDaily" have send me a mail that says "Finally, Health Care You Can Afford".

I am a game freak and can't live life without games. "Special Promotions" are offering me a Free XBox.

I am lonely SINGLE soul lost in the battle of finding my better half and that is when "Find Love" comes to my rescue. They can help me find my soul mate in 7 days!

The "CYC Diet Patch" has no clue about how emaciated I am. They have programs to accelerate the results of my weight loss. And part of the offer, they give you FREE endoscopy to make sure acids don't eat my health!

There are folks who can enlarge the minute one's, give the energy of an horse and teach you the five fist heart pounding technique so that all the "HOT" women can be at one's feet.

And finally not to forget, some one always buys new webcams and yearns the world to look at them.

Sometimes, these mails can be contradicting too. Like, I got this mail which says that my desperate financial situation can be resurfaced my mortgaging my home in a bank in Wisconsin (while I live in Bangalore!). The other one says that I can add another $100,000,000 dollars to my existing account, if I fill up a form that says "FREE Smilie T-shirt" and send it to at least five people.

This is surely not exhaustive, but I'll stop here coz I am really tired of these bulk mails. The only way I can stop this, is to camouflage my mail address. Off late, I see lot of folks writing " at yahoo dot com". Now, this is surely going to escape the eyes of the bots. Any better ideas?

No comments: