Friday, December 03, 2004

Spelling Bees

I was reading an article in Times of India yesterday about how people have become pathetic with their spellings espy in the world of chat and SMS. The interesting part is that more than 60% of the people fumbled when asked to spell common words like "necessary", "immediate" " , and a few others (I don't remember them). Such people are termed to be "orthogonally challenged" -quite an interesting term.

Today, I got this forwarded mail which was quite a contradiction to the emphasis on spelling. Research has it that apart from the first and last letter of the word, the remaining letters can be placed in any random order and they would make perfect sense.

If you don't believe it, read the below lines for yourself and be surprised.

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I wz rdanieg
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at
Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
The olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit
pclae. The rset cn be a taotl mses and u cn sitll raed it wouthit a
porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by
istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thaught
slpeling wahs ipmorantt.


If Lynne Truss reads this, she will surely have an heart-attack!

And finally, I did run this post through the spell check and it PASSED! ;)

5 comments:

Jax said...

Lynne Truss is a she!

Srini said...

ooops..that was purely a typo! Thankz for correction it Xavier!

Unknown said...

whoz Lynne Truss ? I googled , but in vain

Unknown said...

Sigh ... All this by a guy who was rated the best grade-grabber in school. I still remember that u cleared the English exam :) only due to a total mistake by Barbara ma'am.

Srini said...

Lynee Truss is the person who wrote the book "Eats Shoots and Leaves"- a book that stresses on the importance of punctuations. It is very interesting and that is the current book I am reading.

Now, to answer your second part of the question-it was purely a typo and has nothing to do with me being the grade-grabber. Alas! what can I say..not everyone getz to be in the groovy seat all the time! ;)