Saturday, August 19, 2006

Ten bucks and me

Bearing the non-summer heat and commuting the usual jam packed roads of Bangalore on a Saturday morning wasn't making the weekend look any pleasant. But when one has the Hobson's choice, it is best to stop fretting and fuming about it and try to wrap up the task at hand at the earliest.

I was on the way to office and in one of the rare occasions, riding, meandering through the thick smoke and blaring horns. While waiting in one of the numerous traffic lights, I noticed a old man on the opposite side of the road, standing (rather trying to stand) in the pavement, seeking alms from the passersby. It is not a rare phenomena to find people begging, but something about this man drew my attention.

The sorry state of his lifeless legs and his constant struggle to maintain his stability would beg for sympathy from anyone and everyone. Probably in his early 60's, life was refusing to go easy on him. I don't know if he has a family, food, shelter or anything worth calling a possession.

I wanted to help him, but wasn't sure how. I never am sure when it comes to such things and before I think more, I ward of such thoughts saying, there isn't much I can do about such things. The traffic light turned green and it was time for me to take the 'U' turn. I did that and started moving towards the man. He sensed the fact that I was slowing down and quickly limped to the edge of the pavement, hoping to get a rupee or two. There was lot of expectation, hope and despair in his eyes. I picked up a ten rupee note from my purse, gave him a warm smile and told him to take this. He was not just happy, but jubilant. A moment, I was happy for him. He thanked me and got back to his job and I just moved on.

The 10 rupees will not even fetch a square meal today, but it was something that I wanted to do and I did. I thought about the man for a while, but the more I did, the more frustrating it was. I didn't want to think anymore. I can't make a difference to him or many others like him. This is me and I shall be one in the crowd.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see that we tend to get emotional over similar issues. It would have helped the senior citizen more if you showed him the way to one of those elderly homes.

my search on google hit this first url.
http://www.helpageindia.org/publications.php

I used to see children begging on prime streets of bangalore in the recent past. I was really clueless on what can be done on this. Looks like somebody made a call to the respective authorities, the children have been rescued and sent to safe homes. Its happy to see things that actually work in India. The sad part of it is, there seem to be another new gang of beggers with childern who have hit the bangalore streets recently.

Manikandan AV said...

hi ragav! mee to have the same thougt for years and years...but making a big change in the lives of those people whom in need of help can't be compleatly given by us...since we are limited to our boundaries...we cant down to the road to start helping them full time...but we can do onething that helping them who is servicing them full time...

we need someone to lead and gather all the people who wants to help them in the possible way of their own..

then i found this...apart from their spiritual activites we can supprot them by giving them our physical work or money or whatever we can give to them...

have a look at this...
http://www.ruralrejuvenation.org/gallery/gallery.asp?action=viewimage&categoryid=85&text=&imageid=1101&box=&shownew=
and
http://www.ruralrejuvenation.org/gallery/gallery.asp?categoryid=83
nice to see you people like you...
have a nice day!

Loot Deals said...

Nice post !!!

Visit us for Loot deals & offers